Discover Your Island

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

At the end of each academic year, you must show satisfactory progress (SAP) toward a degree or certificate in order to remain eligible to receive financial aid. Your progress will be based on the following criteria:

Academic Standards

You must maintain the following cumulative grade point average:


  • All other undergraduate students = 2.0 cumulative G.P.A.
  • All graduate students (Masters, Doctoral) = 3.0 cumulative G.P.A.
Learn how G.P.A. is calculated by clicking here.

Maximum timeframe for degree/certificate completion

You are limited to the following number of attempted hours to complete your degree or certification program:
  • Undergraduate degree/certification = 180 attempted credit hours
  • Master degree/certification = 54 attempted credit hours
  • Doctoral candidates = 90 attempted credit hours

Attempted hours include all credit hours you have transferred from another institution as well as all credit hours you registered to take at A&M-Corpus Christi, whether or not you earn a grade, receive credit, or receive financial aid.

The following grades are considered credit hours attempted, but not completed/earned:

  • Grades of F or NC (No Credit)
  • I ( Incomplete)
  • W (Withdrawal from courses)

The following grades are considered credit hours attempted and successfully completed/earned:

  • Grades of A, B, C, D,
  • CR (Credit)
  • IP (In Progress)

Successful credit hour completion rate

You must successfully complete/earn a minimum of 67% of all attempted course work. All partial credit hours will be rounded down to the nearest hour.


  • If a student attempts (registers for) 24 credit hours in an academic year, they must complete a minimum of 18 credit hours (24 x 67% = 16) in order to meet SAP for the year.
  • If at the end of the second year, a student has attempted 60 hours, they must have completed a minimum of 45 credit hours (60 x 67% = 40) in order to meet SAP for the year.

How we review your progress
At the end of every Spring semester, our office will review the progress of every financial aid recipient to determine their eligibility for financial aid for the upcoming academic year.

So, what happens if I drop a class?
Your eligibility to receive financial aid will be based on the number of credit hours you are enrolled to take on the official day of census (12th class day in the fall & spring semesters; 4th class day for summer terms). If you register for a class or classes, and then drop prior to the official day of census, your award aid will be adjusted to match your enrollment status. As a result, you may have to return a portion of the aid you received to the Business Office.

If you drop a class or classes after the census date, those credit hours will be counted towards your attempted credit hours for the purpose of maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (see Successful credit hour completion rate above).

And if I withdraw from all of my classes?
If you withdraw from the University (i.e., drop out of all of your classes), your eligibility for aid will be recalculated based on the number of days you were enrolled in classes. Please see our Withdrawalpage for more information.

What happens if I don't meet SAP requirements?
If it is determined that you do not meet the minimum SAP requirements, you will be automatically placed on financial aid suspension. Students on financial aid suspension are not allowed to receive any additional financial aid until the progress suspension is cleared.

Note: Students on scholastic suspension/dismissal or enforced withdrawal are also placed on financial aid suspension.

If I lose my financial aid, how do I get it back?
You may attend A&M-Corpus Christi the following semester without financial aid to reinstate your eligibility. If you meet the minimum SAP requirements at the end of that semester, you may submit Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Review Request form to our office to have your financial aid reinstated the next semester(s) of the current academic year. Continued eligibility for the following academic year will be re-evaluated again at the end of the spring semester during the regular review process.

Can I appeal a SAP decision?
If you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress due to extenuating circumstances, you may submit an appeal to be reviewed by an Aid Appeals Committee. To appeal for reinstatement of financial aid eligibility, you must submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Waiver Request form to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. With this form, you must include:

  • A letter and supporting documentation providing a detailed explanation of the extenuating circumstance (e.g., personal injury or medical problems, illness or death of an immediate family member, etc.), OR
  • If you have exceeded the maximum time frame and are appealing based on a change of major, you should state the reason for the change and indicate the number of hours remaining to be taken in the new major. You must also have your academic advisor complete the advisor section of the form.
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Waiver Request

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Request (APPEAL)

This form is to be used (with supporting documentation) by a student who has experienced an extenuating circumstance during the academic year that led to their inability to maintain satisfactory academic progress to request that SAP requirements be waived.

The SAP Request Appeal form must be submitted to our office within two weeks of the date indicated on your letter of probation/suspension. If your appeal is approved by the Aid Appeals Committee, aid will be continued if you are otherwise eligible. If denied, you may request an in-person meeting with the Aid Appeals Committee. If your second appeal is denied, you must reinstate your aid according to normal procedures (see question above). The decision of the committee is final and may include additional conditions the student must meet as deemed appropriate by the committee.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Get a printable version of the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.