Discover Your Island

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Got a question about financial aid? You may just find the answer to what you're looking for in our helpful list of frequently asked questions below. Or visit our video library y en espanol!

How do I know if I'm eligible to receive financial aid? - video

To be eligible to receive federal and state student aid, you must meet the requirements noted here.

If I'm not a U.S. citizen, can I still get financial aid? - video

There are still some sources of aid for you. Your country's government, or its embassy in the United States, may have aid for students. You can also look into applying for scholarships.

How do I apply for financial aid? - video

You can learn how to apply for financial assistance by clicking here. Please note that certain types of aid (usually loans) do require additional paperwork.

What are the financial aid deadlines?

Find a comprehensive list of all financial aid related deadlines here.

My parents are separated/divorced. Which parent's information should I include on my FAFSA? - video

The parent whom you have lived with the longest period of time during the past 12 months is the parent whose information you will need to include on your FAFSA.

If you did not live with either parent, or lived with each parent for an equal number of days, you should include information on your FAFSA for the parent who provided the most financial support (i.e., housing, food, clothing, transportation, medical care, school) for you during the last 12 months.

Do I include my stepparent's information on my FAFSA, even if they claim no financial responsibility for my education? - video

You must include your stepparent's information on your FAFSA if:

  • You lived in your stepparent's household for six weeks (a period of 42 days) or more during the previous or current year, or
  • Your stepparent contributed more than $750 in financial support (i.e., housing, food, clothing, transportation, medical care, school) to you during the previous or current year

My parents did not claim me on their tax return - can I file my FAFSA as an independent student? - video

To determine whether you are eligible to file as a dependent, please see the Help Section of the FAFSA web site.

If you do not meet any of the criteria noted in their help section, but still feel that you should be considered as an independent student, you may submit a Petition for Independent Status to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

If I live with my grandparents, whose information should I include on my FAFSA?

Typically, you do not include your grandparents' information on your FAFSA, but it depends on the situation. If you are simply living apart from your parents, you should still include your parents' information on your FAFSA.

After I submitted my FAFSA, I was selected for verification. What does that mean? - video playlist

Verification is a process used to verify the accuracy of certain information you entered on your FAFSA. Some students are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education, while others are selected by our university. If you are selected for verification, you will need to provide specific documentation before any money can be disbursed to you. The sooner you verify your information, the sooner you'll be able to receive the aid you're eligible for.

To learn how to proceed once you've been selected for verification, click here.

What if my FAFSA doesn't reflect my current situation? - video

Sometimes things happen that you cannot anticipate, like the loss of a job or the death of a parent or spouse. Whatever the reason, you may submit a Special Circumstances Form to the Office of Student Financial Assistance to reflect any sudden changes in your life that may impact your financial aid awards.

I've already submitted my FAFSA, and just realized I made a mistake on it. How do I correct it?

If you find you've made a mistake after submitting your FAFSA, you will have to wait until after it has been processed to make corrections. Corrections can be made online via the FAFSA web site.

How do I check on the status of a submitted FAFSA?

You can check the status of your FAFSA immediately after submitting it online. You can check the status of a paper FAFSA after it has been processed (roughly 7-10 days from the date mailed).

To check the status of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):

  • Go to the FAFSA on the Web home page and click Start Here to log in, or
  • Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).

If your FAFSA is still being processed, we recommend that you wait a few days before checking the status again. 

Oops! I made a mistake while accepting/declining my awards - how do I fix it?

Should you need to make any changes to the award amounts you have accepted/declined, you can do so by submitting a Change Request Form (also often referred to as a "Repack" form) to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

How do I apply for loans?

If you were awarded and have elected to take out any student loans, you will be required to complete an entrance loan counseling session as well as sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Parents taking out Parent PLUS Loans are required to complete a separate process.

How do I complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session? - video

You have the option to complete an Entrance Loan Counseling session online when you guarantee your loans or you can attend an in-person session at New Student Orientation.

I received a non-University scholarship. Where should I send the check?

All private scholarships (scholarships not awarded by the University) should be submitted to our office for processing so that the necessary adjustments can be made to your financial aid award. Once processed, all monies from private scholarships will be automatically credited to your tuition and fees bill.

What if I have money left over after paying my tuition and fees? - video

If you are awarded funds in excess of what you owe in tuition and fees, this remaining balance (called a 'refund') will be disbursed to you depending upon the refund selection preference you selected through your Bank Mobile Account. This money can then be used to pay for your rent, textbooks, or whatever else you may choose to use it for.

What is Bank Mobile you ask? - video

Bank Mobile is how refunds are processed at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.  If this is your first semester at A&M-Corpus Christi, you should have received a lime green envelop at the billing address you have on file with the University.

You must select a refund preference in order to receive any refund monies from TAMUCC.

Learn more about Bank Mobile by clicking here or contact the Business Office.

When will I get my refund? - video

You can view a tentative refund schedule via the Business Office web site. You can also log in to your Bank Mobile account to track the progress of any pending refunds. For further assistance, please contact the Business Office.

Can I use my refund money to buy my textbooks?

Yes. You may charge books to financial aid, for more information please refer to the Business Office. Once a student's financial aid has disbursed to their student account charging will no longer be available.

Can I use my refund money to pay my rent? 

If you’re living on campus at Miramar or Momentum Village, please contact them directly for information on how to apply for a Housing Payment Option Request.  University Housing web site.

What other ways can I offset the cost of attendance besides using financial aid?

There are numerous ways and methods in which you can fund your education outside the 'traditional' forms of financial aid (grants, loans, scholarships, and work-study). You can learn more about these options by clicking here.

How can I find out how much money in student loans I borrowed? - video

By visiting the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) web site, you can determine how much money in student loans you have borrowed, what you can expect your monthly loan payment(s) to be, and what your repayment options are.

You can find information on any outstanding Perkins loan you have taken out by visiting the AMS Servicing web site or contact them by phone at 1.800.458.4492.

Why do I need to turn in a tax transcript? - video

The federal government requires institutions to collect a tax transcript to verify a processed tax returns. If you are selected for verification you must submit a tax return transcript for yourself and parents(dependent) as well as an institutional verification worksheet.

How do I cancel my Housing Payment Option?

If a student is living on campus and would like to cancel Housing Payment Option the student would contact their housing option, either Miramar or Momentum Village, email and read over the updated cancellation policy.

I'm enrolled in summer courses, do I qualify for financial aid? - video

You may be eligible for financial aid if you meet the requirements. Click here for more info.

Is your question not listed here? - video library
If you can't find the answer to your question, contact our office and a representative will assist you!